If you are one to rush out the door in the morning with a to-go coffee and breakfast bar in your hand, you may be the perfect candidate for these overnight oats. The beauty of this “recipe” is that you prep the oats the night before — hence the overnight oats name — and there is no-cooking needed. After they chill in the fridge for 8 hours, toss them in your work bag in the morning and warm them up once you get to the office. Add some sliced fruit (my choice is always banana) on top for extra flavor and you are ready to go.
I like to add chia seeds to my overnight oats for a different texture. However, this recipe also tastes just as good without the chia seeds — just reduce the milk to about 3/4 cup. The combination of the oatmeal, chia seeds and banana makes this a fiber packed breakfast and keeps me full for hours until lunch. If you buy a bulk bag of oats and chia seeds you will save money in the long run and always be ready to have a filling breakfast to jump start your morning.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk (almond or soy milk would be great too)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon or so (just a few sprinkles) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 banana
- In a small storage container, combine all ingredients except banana.
- Stir together to incorporate well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Add sliced banana and eat cold, or microwave for about 1 minute until warm. Add sliced banana. Enjoy!
Love food. Love self. Love life.