True story: I’ve never used a timer to make poached eggs. When I was little my mom used to say the best way to time poached eggs while they cook was to toast bread at the same time. She would say, “When the toast is ready, the eggs are ready too!” Now, there are some factors that could vary here: your toaster, the kind of bread, your stove’s heat, etc. I haven’t always gotten the timing right with my mom’s technique, so if I want to be more precise in the future, I will follow The Kitchn’s tips.
Growing up I would always eat my poached eggs with buttered wheat toast. Two poached eggs on one piece of bread and then a second piece of toast cut in half diagonally for dunking into the runny yolks. When avocado toast became trendy recently, I knew I would immediately be on the bandwagon. Crispy bread, gooey yolks plus avocados sounded like a dream!
You don’t have to wait to order this out at a trendy restaurant. You can make avocado toast with poached eggs at home! Customize it to fit your style: Do you like your avocado mashed or sliced? Do you like your egg yolks runny or cooked through? Would you rather skip the avocado and eggs for peanut butter and banana instead?
- 1 slice of thick bread (sourdough, wheat, French, etc.)
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (optional)
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer with soft bubbles.
- Add vinegar to water. This helps the egg whites stick together nicely. If you don’t have it, don’t worry about it.
- Add cracked eggs, one at a time, gently into the water. I like to crack the egg into a mug, measuring cup or little bowl. This helps ease the egg into the water.
- Cook eggs for about four minutes. This will result in a running yolk. If you like a fully cooked yolk, continue until egg reaches your desired state.
- While egg is cooking, toast bread either on stove or in a toaster.
- Slice half of the avocado into thin strips or remove from skin and mash.
- Once bread is toasted, add avocado to toast. Drizzle olive oil over avocado, then season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes if you like a little heat.
- Once eggs are cooked, remove from water and dry with paper towel. Place on toast and serve!
Love food. Love self. Love life.