There are some things you know will make the entire house smell like the most delicious bakery in town. This banana bread does that. When my roommates walked into the house after they finished their finals the morning I made the bread, they basically were crying of happiness because it was it was the most perfect reward. I’m sure Mom would feel the same way if you made this for her Mother’s Day brunch next weekend.
I adapted this recipe from All Recipes by adding my two essentials for great banana bread: cinnamon in the batter and a oatmeal/brown sugar/cinnamon topping. The crunchy, sweet contrast on top makes the best last few bites. My roommates and I always have tons of bananas laying around, and the ones that get too brown and soft make the most flavorful banana bread. As you can tell in the pictures, the bananas make this dough fluffy and moist. It’s not too sweet, but you can definitely taste the brown sugar. You could certainly add chopped nuts or chocolate chips, but I don’t even think it’s needed.
Brown Sugar Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Topping: 1 tablespoon oatmeal, sprinkle of brown sugar, dash of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating shortly after each addition. Stir in vanilla and mashed banana.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture little by little until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick or knife inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
Once your bread is done, sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee with it. I would love to hear in the comments below what other essentials you will be including on your Mother’s Day menu. Spring Brunches are always the best. Thanks for sharing!
Love food. Love self. Love life.