Ever since the weather cooled down this month, I’ve somehow gotten out of my routine of weekly salads for lunch. Now instead I would rather bring a warm bowl of soup, a quinoa bowl up or really anything that I can heat up since our office is so chilly! It’s time for me to bring some greens back into my life and this salad is exactly how I’m going to do it. The toppings are really what make this combination. Yes there’s chicken and gorgonzola, but the sweet and spicy walnuts, sliced red grapes, farro and balsamic dressing give the salad so much flavor!
I love being able to show you what it looks like to actually make the recipe. Here’s a quick video of me making the easy baked chicken and assembling the chicken and gorgonzola salad for my weekly meal prep!
The salad inspiration originates from one of my favorite spots in Phoenix, Postino. Their version of the salad has crispy, thinly sliced leeks and pears, too. Paired with their famous bruschetta and a glass of wine, it is one of my favorite meals. My family and I have been going to the restaurant at it’s several different locations for years. Even before I could savor a glass of wine I felt so trendy at the restaurant with adults. Now, it’s a perfect spot to grab a drink with girlfriends and support the local food community.
To make my version of the salad, I added juicy, tender chicken from my go-to baked chicken recipe and farro. This grain is kind of a cross between orzo and brown rice. It’s chewy, a little bit nutty and full of nutrients. It adds so much to the salad! I always have a mason jar full of my simple 1-minute balsamic vinaigrette handy, too. I used this as my dressing for the salad and it added a perfect zest to the flavors.
- [b]Salad Toppings[/b]
- 1 bag of mixed greens
- 1/2 cup farro (Quinoa would work too!)
- 1 cup red grapes
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese
- 1/3 cup sweet and spicy walnuts
- [b]Baked Chicken[/b]
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- [b]Balsamic Vinaigrette
- [/b]3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- [b]Baked Chicken[/b]
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a pan with aluminum foil.
- On a cutting board, trim any unnecessary fat off the chicken breasts. (Don’t forget to wash hands after!)
- Drizzle the first side of each chicken breast with olive oil. Then generously sprinkle each with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and oregano. Rub seasonings around on the chicken breast to distribute.
- Place seasoned side of chicken breast down on the aluminum foil and repeat olive oil/seasoning combination on the other side of chicken.
- Bake chicken breasts at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- [b]Salad Prep[/b]
- While chicken is baking, boil farro per package directions. Let cool.
- Wash and slice grapes in half lengthwise. Chop nuts.
- [b]Make Vinaigrette[/b]
- Put all ingredients in a mason jar and shake!
- Once chicken has cooked and cooled, slice into thin pieces. Assemble 3-4 salads depending on desired size. Enjoy within 4 days!
I can’t wait to hear what you think of the salad! I know the recipe looks lengthy, but you could prep the chicken ahead of time and even have the balsamic in your fridge for other salads. Once you chop the extra toppings and assemble everything together, it’s so quick.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube channel and tag me @gourmet_gab on Instagram if you make the recipe! Also, Snap me via my Snapchat GourmetGab. It is so much fun to see the behind-the-scenes of your kitchen too.
Love food. Love self. Love life.