I am so thrilled to share the first episode of the three-part web series I created for my honors thesis project. I developed the series Gourmet Gab: On the Go to educate college students and young adults about cooking and nutrition. Every episode will start with an interview with an expert and then we will move into the kitchen to make at least one recipe that is healthy, easy and inexpensive.
In the first episode, I talk with Sharon Madsen, nutrition consultant, about grocery shopping 101. She teaches people about grocery shopping for a healthier lifestyle and was an amazing resource. If you live in the Phoenix area, you can schedule a one-on-one consultation with her to learn more. Then, my adorable roommate and I head into the kitchen to make 2 breakfasts in about 1 minute each. Bonus: they are made in an item practically every college student has in their household…watch to find out what it is!
Here are the recipes for the PB & Banana Oatmeal and Fruit Parfait I make on the show. They are both easy to take on the go to class, in the car or to work. I recommend buying the large containers of the oatmeal and yogurt to save money! Tweet me selfies with your on-the-go breakfasts at @Gourmet_Gab using the hashtag #ggonthego.
Love food. Love self. Love life.
Peanut Butter & Banana Oatmeal
- Oatmeal, preferably steel-cut or old-fashioned
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon agave
- A dash of cinnamon
- Cook oatmeal and water as directed on packaging, depending on your brand.
- While oatmeal is cooking, slice banana into a Red Cup or other on-the-go cup. Add peanut butter, agave and cinnamon.
- Once oatmeal is done cooking, add to Red Cup. Stir to mix. Enjoy!
Fruit & Granola Parfait
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons granola, mixed nuts or whole-grain cereal
- 2 handfuls of berries
- 1 teaspoon agave
- Add yogurt, granola and berries to Red Cup.
- Drizzle with agave. Enjoy!