I’m back on Food Network Snapchat Discover again, this time showing you how incredibly easy it is to make grilled pizza! When it’s too hot to turn on the oven inside, cook pizza dough directly on the grill to get beautiful char marks, crispy dough and gooey, bubbly cheese. There’s no need for perfection here — grilled pizza is meant to be rustic.
Just like any other pizza, you can use any toppings you have on hand and customize your pie to fit your cravings. Scroll down to get the recipe for this lemon and basil cheese pizza with fire roasted corn. It is a delicious twist on the usual cheese pizza with the fresh herb and zesty lemon flavor, plus a little kick from the red pepper flakes. My friends were hesitant at first, but after one bite they all were raving over the unique combo.
Organization is Key
The number one thing to making grilled pizza is to be organized. Assemble a little tray with all your topping selections and have it right next to you at the grill. I placed all mine in clear ramekins so I was ready to work quickly. Once the dough is on the grill, the first side only takes a few minutes to cook. After about 2 minutes, you’ll brush olive oil on the top side of the dough, flip it over and quickly add all your toppings so you can shut the lid and let the heat do the work. A few of the tools I used were a zester, grill tongs, grill brush and a pizza pan to transport the dough.
Watch on Food Network Snapchat
Head over to Food Network Snapchat Discover right now to and watch me make this grilled pizza! If you have the Snapchat app, just swipe over to right two times to find the Discover page. You see different brands, but scroll down until you find Food Network’s logo and tap to view the story.
My friends made a special appearance again since they got to watch the behind the scenes filming before we had a late afternoon barbecue. Huge thank you to Sean for letting me use his fancy grill and Melinda for letting me prep in their kitchen! How gorgeous is the view from their backyard patio? I also couldn’t pull off a production without my director, Danielle, and her infamous headset.
- 1 package store-bought pizza dough
- Flour for rolling dough
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fire roasted corn
- 15 or so basil leaves
- 1 lemon, zested
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Heat your grill to about 400 degrees.
- <span></span>Roll out your dough using flour and a rolling pin until its about 1/4″ thick. The dough will puff up on the grill, so roll quite thin.
- Brush the top of the dough with olive oil. Place oiled side down on the grill. Close grill and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Once the bottom of the dough looks cooked and has char marks, brush the top of the dough with olive oil and flip.
- Quickly place all the toppings on the dough, starting with a drizzle of olive oil. Add sliced mozzarella, spoonfuls of ricotta, corn, basil, lemon zest and spices.
- Close and cook for 1-2 minutes more until cheese is melted.
- Cut into slices and serve immediately!
Love food. Love self. Love life.
Products contain affiliate links.