If the last tuna melt you had was on sliced white bread with mayo and zero flavor, you have been missing out on an upgraded, spicy version that is still budget friendly. Today on Food Network Snapchat Discover I’m taking a $1 can of tuna and adding Sriracha, jalapeño, spicy Gouda cheese and more to take it to a gourmet level.
Every once in a while I like to pick up a can of tuna to have on hand in my pantry. When I’m in a hurry, have zero groceries or am looking for a budget friendly meal, tuna melts are the way to go. The spicy flavors are not overwhelming, but contrast perfectly with the creamy avocado and the crunchy toast. The Greek yogurt makes the tuna mix creamy, but lighter than the traditional option. The cheese on top gets gooey and bubbly, then the broiler makes it golden brown and a little crisp.
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/2 stalk celery, minced
- 1/4 a jalapeno, diced
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon, salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 avocado, smashed
- 2 slices Gouda cheese, spicy or chipotle preferred
- 1 slice thick bread (I love multigrain sourdough!)
- Toast bread until golden brown.
- Mix together tuna, yogurt, celery, jalapeño, Sriracha, cilantro, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Spread smashed avocado on toast, add tuna mix and top with two slices of cheese.
- Broil for a few minutes until cheese is melted, toasted and bubbly! Watch for the timing depending on your oven, but probably a few minutes.
When I was recipe testing I could not stop eating this. Lunch or dinner – it is such a winner. Don’t forget to head over to Food Network Snapchat Discover today to watch me whip this up. When you open your Snapchat app, swipe over until you see the brands and click on Food Network! I’ll be on there in my kitchen cooking away and making this Spicy Tuna Avocado Melt.
Love food. Love self. Love life.